Moisturising, hydrating, volumising, strengthening, smoothing, curling. There are so many types of shampoo in the stores which can be quite confusing. Read on to find out more about how to match your scalp type with your shampoo to achieve the best results you are seeking for.
Define your scalp type
Before choosing a shampoo, it is crucial to know what the shampoo does, how to use it and how that relates to your hair and scalp type. Shampoo is meant to clean your hair and scalp of dirt, oil, and hair products that could clog your hair follicles. While it is common to think of shampoo as a hair cleansing agent, it is more important to consider your scalp when choosing a shampoo.
Oily scalp shampoo advice
Oily or greasy scalp is a frustrating problem to many. If you have this problem, you would have probably tried everything from washing daily or twice daily, to skipping a few days of shampooing in an effort to control the oil and sebum production. Here are some tips on what to look out for and what to avoid when choosing a shampoo for an oily scalp:
- Avoid shampoos that are hydrating, moisturizing, smoothing, or good for curly hair. These shampoos tend to add too much moisture to your already oily scalp.
- Look for labels that read volumizing, strengthening, energizing, or balancing. These products are less moisturizing and more effective at removing excess oil. Beaver’s Hydro Scalp Energizing Shampoo is an excellent choice as it gently cleanses scalp and remove excess sebum and dirt from hair follicles.
- Using a clarifying shampoo or treatment can be very useful for oily scalp. Oily and greasy hair may be the result of product buildup or heavy conditioners and a clarifying shampoo can help to remove these traces.
- For those with oily roots and dry ends, try using shampoos that provide a solution to mixed hair conditions, such as the Kanz Keratin’s Oily Root Dry Ends Shampoo. It helps to alleviate the oily scalp condition while delivering extra care to the dry hair ends.
Dry Scalp Shampoo Advice
A dry, itchy and flaky scalp can be unsightly and problematic as it is especially prone to dandruff. Choosing the right shampoo is extremely important to restore a dry scalp to its natural balance. These tips can help you to choose a suitable shampoo for your dry scalp:
- Avoid strengthening, and volumizing shampoos. These products contain strong chemicals that are unsuitable for dry scalp as they can strip your scalp of necessary moisture.
- For scalps that are only slightly dry with little to no itching and do not flake, look for shampoo labels that promote moisture, hydration, smoothing. These products add extra moisture to repair and protect your scalp. The Argan Oil Shampoo is highly recommended as the organic argan oil contains natural Vitamin E and silk protein which can protect hair from styling heat and UV damage.
- If your scalp is very dry, itchy, and/or flaky, consider shampoos that are specifically formulated for dry scalp. Beaver’s Hydro Scalp Purifying Shampoo provides a specialised treatment that helps to fight and control dandruff. It gently cleanses itchy and flaky hair with its special bacteriostasis formula against dandruff problem, and meanwhile, smoothes and brightens hair.
- Do not shampoo your hair more than necessary and try not to use heat during styling or blow-drying.